- Created on Monday, 22 October 2012 21:36
- Written by IVN
San Diego, California - The FBI, San Diego County Sheriff’s Department, and Carlsbad Police Department are announcing the arrest of Aaron Alan Hyman, age 27, as a result of the investigation into the “Chubby Bandit” serial robber investigation.
Aaron Alan Hyman, age 27, was arrested by Carlsbad Police officers/detectives who were working jointly with the San Diego County Sheriff’s Department, San Diego Police Department, and the FBI. Hyman was arrested in the vicinity of Highway 78 and El Camino Real.
Hyman’s arrest was the direct result of a multi-agency investigation into a string of bank robberies and at least one commercial robbery that have occurred in Carlsbad, San Diego, Solana Beach, Poway, Encinitas, and San Marcos.
Since Tuesday, October 9, 2012, local law enforcement and the FBI have been investigating a string of bank robberies by an individual dubbed the Chubby Bandit. During this investigation, bank surveillance photographs of the Chubby Bandit were distributed to area law enforcement agencies and the public.
Based on this dissemination of bank surveillance photographs, Hyman was identified by a San Diego County Sheriff’s Deputy. The deputy identified Hyman as someone he had previous law enforcement contacts during his patrols. The Carlsbad Police Department also independently developed information identifying Hyman as the Chubby Bandit.
Based on the initial identifications by the San Diego Sheriff’s Deputy and Carlsbad Police Department, additional investigation was conducted by law enforcement that resulted in Hyman’s arrest today.
The Chubby Bandit bank robbery/commercial robbery series involves five bank robberies, one attempted bank robbery, and the robbery of one local pharmacy.
The Chubby Bandit is believed to be responsible for the following robberies and one attempted robbery:
(1) Tuesday, October 9, 2012, at 5:32 p.m., U.S. Bank, 12655 Scripps Poway Parkway, Poway, California.
(2) Thursday, October 11, 2012, at 1:03 p.m., Chase Bank, 7176 Avenida Encinas, Carlsbad, California.
(3) Saturday, October 13, 2012, at 1:30 p.m., Chase Bank, 607 Lomas Santa Fe, Solana Beach, California. This was an attempted robbery.
(4) Monday, October 15, 2012, at 2:47 p.m., Wells Fargo Bank, 276 North El Camino Real, Encinitas, California.
(5) Tuesday, October 16, 2012, at 2:23 p.m., U.S. Bank, 770 Village Drive, Carlsbad, California.
(6) Thursday, October 18, 2012, at 4:11 p.m., Wells Fargo Bank, 11986 Bernardo Plaza Dr., San Diego, California.
(7) Wednesday October 10, 2012, at 12:38 p.m., CVS Pharmacy, 191 Woodland Parkway, San Marcos, California.
It is anticipated that Hyman will be booked into the Vista County Jail.
Anyone with information concerning the Chubby Bandit is asked to contact the FBI at telephone number (858) 565-1255 or Crime Stoppers at (888) 580-8477. You may remain anonymous by calling the FBI or Crime Stoppers.
An arrest itself is not evidence that the defendant committed crimes charged. The defendant is presumed innocent until the government meets its burden in court of proving guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.