Governor Brown Secures Fire Management Assistance Grant from FEMA to Assist Fire Agencies Battling Eiler Fire in Shasta County
- Created on Saturday, 02 August 2014 11:33
- Written by IVN
Sacramento, California - As high temperatures and extreme drought conditions continue throughout California, firefighters are battling a large fire in Shasta County. Governor Edmund G. Brown, Jr., today secured a Fire Management Assistance Grant (FMAG) from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to enable the availability of vital firefighting cost reimbursement for those responding local, state and tribal agencies responding to the Eiler Fire, that has burned into the community of Hat Creak near Burney.
"California is very thankful that the Federal Emergency Management Agency has a resource like this grant to assist our fire agencies with cost reimbursement," said Cal OES Director Mark Ghilarducci. "Our first responsibility is to attack these fires as hard as we can and we have to keep that world-class response system sustainable for a long wildfire season."
So far, the fire has consumed more than 5,500 acres, threatening structures and causing evacuations in the area.
The grant, which is provided through the President's Disaster Relief Fund on a cost-share basis, will assist local, state and tribal agencies responding to the fire to apply for 75 percent reimbursement of their fire suppression costs. Local, state and tribal agencies are responsible for the remaining 25 percent of their costs.
The Eiler Fire exploded from just a few hundred acres to thousands between Friday and Saturday. Evacuations are ongoing for the area. Around the rest of state, red flag warnings are in effect and other fire outbreaks are a major concern for local officials. Thousands of lightning strikes across Northern California have caused several large fires.