Washington, DC - "We’re fighting to give every American—all over the country, every single American—a future of dignity and purpose and of pride."
PROMOTING OPPORTUNITY AND PROSPERITY: President Trump’s pro-growth economic agenda is creating more economic prosperity and opportunity for all Americans.
- Under President Donald J. Trump, the economy is soaring and delivering more opportunity and prosperity for African Americans.
- Last year, African American unemployment fell to a record low of 5.9 percent.
- The poverty rate for African Americans reached the lowest level ever recorded in 2017.
- President Trump’s historic tax cut legislation included new Opportunity Zone Incentives to promote investment in low-income communities across the country.
- 8,764 communities across the country have been designated as Opportunity Zones.
- Opportunity Zones are expected to spur $100 billion in long-term private capital investment in economically distressed communities across the country.
- Through deregulation, tax reform, and job training, President Trump is creating a better climate for minority-owned businesses and workers.
- The Administration’s Pledge to America’s Workers has secured private sector commitments to provide 6.5 million training and education opportunities for American workers.
TRANSFORMING OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM: President Trump signed historic bipartisan criminal justice reform that made our justice system fairer.
- President Trump signed the landmark FIRST Step Act that reformed decades of policies that have failed Americans.
- The FIRST Step Act reformed sentencing laws that disproportionately harmed African Americans.
- The law reformed mandatory minimums that created inequitable outcomes.
- The FIRST Step Act reduced enhanced penalties for certain non-violent repeat drug offenders and eliminated the three-strike mandatory life provision.
- This historic legislation will help inmates successfully rejoin society by promoting participation in vocational training, education programs, or faith-based programs.
PRIORITIZING EDUCATION: President Trump has made supporting our Nation’s Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) and school choice priorities for his Administration.
- Last year, President Trump signed legislation increasing Federal funding to HBCU programs by more than 14 percent.
- The President signed legislation forgiving Hurricane Katrina debt that threatened HBCUs.
- In February 2017, President Trump signed an Executive Order establishing the White House Initiative on HBCUs in the White House.
- President Trump has called on Congress to pass school choice legislation so that no child is trapped in a failing school because of his or her zip code.
- The President signed funding legislation in September 2018 that increased funding for school choice by $42 million.
- The tax cuts signed into law by President Trump promote school choice by allowing families to use 529 college savings plans for elementary and secondary education.