- Created on Friday, 13 June 2014 14:09
- Written by USDA
Washington, DC - The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s (USDA) Office of the Under Secretary for Food Safety in conjunction with the department’s Food Safety and Inspection Service is sponsoring a public meeting to provide information and receive public comments on agenda items and draft U.S. positions to be discussed at the 37th Session of the Codex Alimentarius Commission (CAC), which will be held in Geneva, Switzerland later this year.
The public meeting will be held June 18, 2014, from 1 to 4 p.m. at USDA headquarters, The Jamie L. Whitten Building, 1400 Independence Avenue SW, Room 107-A, Washington, DC 20250.
Documents and agenda items related to the 37th Session of the CAC will be accessible at the Codex website at: www.codexalimentarius.org/meetings-reports. To join the public meeting by conference call, dial 1 (888) 884-9904. The participant code will be posted on the web page: www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsis/topics/international-affairs/us-codex-alimentarius/public-meetings.
During the public meeting, the committee will discuss:
- Election of Chairperson and Vice Chairperson and appointment of the coordinators
- Draft standard and related texts at Step 8, 5/8 and Step 5 proposed amendments to the procedural manual
- Matters referred to the commission by Codex Committees and Task Forces
- Matters of interest arising from the Food and Agriculture Organization and the World Health Organization (FAO/WHO) and other international organizations
Codex was established in 1963 by FAO/WHO. Codex seeks to protect the health of consumers and ensure fair practices in the food trade through adoption of food standards, codes of practice and other guidelines developed by its committees, and by promoting their adoption and implementation by governments.