- Created on Monday, 04 March 2013 15:26
- Written by IVN
Washington, DC - The U.S. Department of Agriculture's (USDA) Food Safety and Inspection Service in conjunction with the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition is sponsoring a public meeting to provide information and receive public comments on agenda items, and draft U.S. positions to be discussed at the 7th Session of the Codex Committee on Contaminants in Food (CCCF), which will be held in Moscow, the Russian Federation from April 8-12, 2013.
The public meeting will be held on March. 12, 2013, from 10 a.m. to noon at the FDA – Harvey Wiley Federal Building, Room 1A-001, 5100 Paint Branch Parkway, College Park, MD 20740. Documents and agenda items related to the 7th Session of the CCCF will be accessible at the Codex website at: www.codexalimentarius.org.
During the meeting, the committee will discuss:
- Proposed draft revision of maximum levels for lead in selected commodities
- Discussion paper on the review of the guideline level for methylmercury in fish and predatory fish
- Proposed draft revision of the guideline levels for radionuclides in food
- Proposed draft Code of Practice for weed control to prevent and reduce pyrrolizidine alkaloid contamination in food and feed
- Matters of interest arising from the Food and Agriculture Organization and the World Health Organization (FAO/WHO)
Codex was established in 1963 by FAO/WHO. Codex seeks to protect the health of consumers and ensure fair practices in the food trade through adoption of food standards, codes of practice and other guidelines developed by its committees, and by promoting their adoption and implementation by governments.