Love’s Late Rush: Getting Ready for the Valentine’s Day Deadline

Austin, Texas - The color of Valentine’s Day is not the red of hearts or roses, but yes, it is the color of money. It is the first major retail date out of the New Year and for affairs of the heart it is not for the faint. It may be because men drive the spending, but there is a definite delay to commit and that makes for some interesting retail trends.

“This is NOT a time to sell yourself short,” says Steve Schaffer, CEO of Offers.com. “Armed with a few facts and simple tips and you can win hearts and save money this Valentine’s Day. The first tip, prove your love online.”

More than a quarter of people celebrating love, will be shopping online this year. That is a huge increase from last year and continues an accelerating trend from the holiday shopping season. For the last minute panic buys, look to mobile devices to save the day.

Some other facts you may not know about your love’s shopping habits:

1.    We’re expected to spend $18.6 billion on our besties.

2.    82% expect to spend the same or more than last year. The other 18% will be sitting at home alone.

3.    We say it with: Flowers 32%, Candy 26%, Jewelry 13%, Lingerie/Intimates 9% and Gift Baskets 6%.

4.    Men spend twice as much: $176 vs $89 over women.

5.    70% are totally open on brand and retailer, so opportunities abound.

“It’s a slow build,” says Schaffer. “Early online browsing is followed by a crash to commit, with most purchases happening from February 12-14th. At Offers.com we research the top Valentine’s gifts and find you the discounts. We know there’s a lot on the line here. Relax. We’ve got this for you.”

Steve Schaffer CEO of Offers.com and Howard Schaffer VP of Offers.com lead one of the nation's hottest online resources to save consumers time and money. Offers.com connects consumers to deals from more than 5,500 online stores and brands and has over 200 categories including travel, software, clothing and shoes, and more. Offers.com has been featured on: The Today Show, Good Morning America, CBS News, FOX, Bloomberg, USA Today, Smart Money and New York Daily News.

Additional information