- Created on Monday, 21 July 2014 20:15
- Written by IVN
Washington, DC - Today, Secretary of State John Kerry announced that the United States is providing $47 million to help address the humanitarian situation in Gaza. This assistance includes:
- An initial $15 million contribution to the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East (UNRWA) in response to UNRWA’s $60 million Gaza Flash Appeal;
- $3.5 million in emergency relief assistance from USAID’s Office of Foreign Disaster Assistance (OFDA);
- $10 million in existing USAID bilateral funding, redirected to meet immediate humanitarian needs; and
- $18.5 million in new USAID bilateral funding for humanitarian and emergency relief assistance.
These funds will provide critical humanitarian aid, including shelter, food, and medical supplies to Palestinians in Gaza. The United States remains committed to addressing the humanitarian needs of the Palestinian people, and will continue to monitor the humanitarian situation closely.