- Created on Saturday, 16 March 2013 09:06
- Written by NAPSI
Imperial, California (NAPSI) - If your heating and cooling bills seem to be going through the roof, give a warm welcome to these hints to help you keep more of your cold cash.
What You Can Do
• Check and maintain your insulation. Improperly insulated walls, floors, attics, basements and crawl spaces drain away heat and air-conditioning and can encourage mold and mildew.
• Add weather stripping and caulk around windows and doors, too.
• Install a programmable thermostat that shuts itself off during the day when you’re away and at night when you’re asleep, to keep you comfortable when you’re home and save you money when you’re not.
• Keep vents and returns free of obstructions. Don’t lay carpet over vents, place furniture over or in front of them, or obstruct the flow of air.
• Get a humidifier and a dehumidifier. Dry air feels cooler than moist air. Humidity in summer makes you feel hotter; the same is true in winter.
• Keep outdoor air conditioner units clear of plants and debris.
• Keep your air filters clean. Check them every couple of weeks and change them as directed by the manufacturer.
• Let the sunshine in by opening the curtains on cold days. Get heavy drapes to keep things cozy at night.
• Plant shade trees on the south side of your home to help keep it cooler in summer.
• Review last year’s energy bills. If your cooling costs are drastically higher this year, a qualified HVAC/R technician may be able to diagnose the problem.
• Even the most eco-friendly, high-efficiency products and appliances can waste money and energy if they’re not installed, serviced and maintained properly. By working with certified technicians, homeowners can have confidence that their HVAC/R equipment is delivering on the energy efficiency promised.
• Have your heating and cooling systems checked twice a year by an HVAC/R professional. Technicians certified by North American Technician Excellence (NATE), the nation’s largest independent, nonprofit certification body for HVAC/R technicians, are skilled professionals who have proven their knowledge in the HVAC/R industry by passing specialized certification tests.
For further facts and tips and to find a nearby, qualified contractor who employs certified technicians, look for the NATE logo, go to www.hvacradvice.com or call (877) 420-NATE.