Washington, DC - Pet First Aid Awareness Month is the perfect time for the American Red Cross to announce American Pet Nutrition as a sponsor of the American Red Cross Pet First Aid App. The free app gives dog and cat owners instant access to expert guidance on how to maintain their pet’s health, what to do in emergencies, and how to include pets in their household’s emergency preparedness plans.
“Pets are a very important part of many families,” said Dominick Tolli, vice president, Product Management and Development at the Red Cross. “Having American Pet Nutrition, a leader in the pet care industry, onboard allows us to expand the content within the app and help owners improve their pet’s well-being and protect them.”
“American Pet Nutrition is proud to support the Red Cross Pet First Aid App and provide helpful, fact-based, nutritional information about pet foods, including grain-free diets,” says Bill Behnken, president and chief executive officer of American Nutrition, Inc. “This app will also be a way to share helpful pet training tips like using positive reinforcement, with guidelines set forth by the International Association of Animal Behavior Consultants.”
Owners have access to step-by-step instructions, videos and images for more than 25 common first aid and emergency situations including how to treat wounds, control bleeding, and care for breathing and cardiac emergencies.
Other features in the app allow pet owners to:
- Create a pet profile including tag identification number, photos, list of medications and instructions.
- Use the list of early warning signs to learn when to call their veterinarian.
- Find emergency pet care facilities or alternate veterinarians with the ‘animal hospital locator.’
- Locate pet-friendly hotels in case they have to evacuate in an emergency or when they travel.
- Assemble a pet first aid kit and an emergency preparedness kit.
- Test their knowledge with interactive quizzes and earn badges that they can share on their social networks along with their favorite picture of their pet.
The Red Cross has made great strides in making emergency information available whenever and wherever people need it. The Pet First Aid App and other Red Cross apps can be found by searching for ‘American Red Cross’ in app stores or by going to redcross.org/apps.