- Created on Saturday, 15 February 2014 09:50
- Written by IVN
Riverside, California - On February 15, 1954, the University of California, Riverside opened its doors for the first day of classes. That day, The Riverside Daily Press and Riverside Enterprise newspapers (the forerunners of today’s Press-Enterprise) published a 56-page advertising supplement to commemorate the campus’ opening. In honor of the 60-year anniversary of UCR’s first day of classes, we’ve reproduced the complete original supplement electronically.
“This is an occasion warranting a memorial. We present here a supplement of the Riverside Daily Press and Riverside Enterprise in the hope that it will memorialize the opening of classes at the University of California at Riverside,” reads the introduction on page three.
The document was scanned into a PDF from a microfilm copy of the paper in the UC Riverside Tomás Rivera Library collection. Artifacts on the images or blurring are from the original microfilm.
To read the supplement, click the image below and it will open in a larger window. You can zoom in to read the content, which includes pieces by Provost Gordon S. Watkins, Dean Robert A. Nisbet, Dean of Students Thomas L. Broadbent, Life Sciences Chair Herman T. Spieth, Humanities Chair John W. Olmstead, and Physical Sciences Division Head W. Conway Pierce.
The supplement also contains some amazing pictures of the campus, including some places that will look familiar to the students of today. For example, look at the light fixtures in the photo of the library on page 18, or the photo of the pool on page 21. Page nine has a beautiful, hand-drawn campus map showing the buildings that existed at the opening and the plans for expansion.