- Created on Thursday, 27 September 2012 12:30
- Written by Imperial Valley News
Sacramento, California - Governor Edmund G. Brown Jr. today signed the Energy Security Coordination Act of 2012 (SB 1409), authored by Senator Fran Pavley (D-Agoura Hills), which strengthens the clean energy partnership between California and the U.S. military.
“The health of the environment, job creation and indeed, the security of the nation, depend on how we end America’s dangerous addiction to foreign oil,” said Governor Brown. “California and the U.S. military are working together to build a clean energy future and this bill helps make sure it happens.”
“I am grateful to Governor Brown for strengthening public-private partnerships with the U.S. military, the state and private sector R&D firms who are working to achieve energy security and create new jobs,” said Senator Pavley.
Under SB 1409, the Governor’s Office of Planning and Research (OPR) will serve as a liaison between the state and the U.S. Department of Defense to coordinate and collaborate on clean energy policy. OPR will work directly with state energy agencies, including the California Energy Commission and the California Public Utilities Commission, to ensure the military is included in the development and implementation of state energy and environmental policy.
“SB 1409 recognizes the existing partnership between the military and California in the development of renewable energy technology, resources and the large potential for future enhancement of this partnership,” said Deputy Department of Defense Regional Environmental Coordinator Christopher L. Stathos in a letter supporting SB 1409. “With the military’s aggressive renewable energy goals, and California’s leadership and innovation, SB 1409 provides the Governor’s Office of Planning and Research additional tools that will enable further success.”
The Governor also announced today that he has signed the following bills:
· AB 693 by Assemblymember Jared Huffman (D-San Rafael) – Local government: Sonoma County Regional Climate Protection Authority.
· AB 1124 by Assemblymember Nancy Skinner (D-Berkeley) – Landlord and tenant.
· AB 1255 by Assemblymember Manuel Pérez (D-Coachella) – Energy: renewable energy resources.
· AB 1900 by Assemblymember Mike Gatto (D-Burbank) – Renewable energy resources: biomethane.
· AB 2165 by Assemblymember Jerry Hill (D-South San Francisco) – Net energy metering: eligible fuel cell customer-generators.
· AB 2187 by Assemblymember Steven Bradford (D-Inglewood) – Renewable energy resources.
· AB 2196 by Assemblymember Wesley Chesbro (D-Eureka) – Renewable energy resources.
· AB 2227 by Assemblymember Steven Bradford (D-Inglewood) – Local publicly owned electric utilities: State Energy Resources Conservation and Development Commission: reporting.
· AB 2249 by Assemblymember Joan Buchanan (D-San Ramon) – Solar Water Heating and Efficiency Act of 2007.
· AB 2339 by Assemblymember Das Williams (D-Santa Barbara) – Energy: geothermal technologies.
· AB 2514 by Assemblymember Steven Bradford (D-Inglewood) – Net energy metering.
· SB 594 by Senator Lois Wolk (D-Davis) – Energy: net energy metering.
· SB 1066 by Senator Ted Lieu (D-Torrance) – Coastal resources: climate change.
· SB 1122 by Senator Michael Rubio (D-Bakersfield) – Energy: renewable bioenergy projects. A signing message can be found here.
· SB 1207 by Senator Jean Fuller (R-Bakersfield) – California Alternate Rates for Energy program.
· SB 1222 by Senator Mark Leno (D-San Francisco) – Solar energy: permits.
· SB 1268 by Senator Fran Pavley (D-Agoura Hills) – Energy: energy conservation assistance.
· SB 1332 by Senator Gloria Negrete McLeod (D-Chino) – Renewable energy resources: electric utilities.
The Governor announced that he has vetoed the following bills:
· AB 796 by Assemblymember Robert Blumenfield (D-Van Nuys) – Financial assistance: Clean Energy Economy and Jobs Incentive Program. A veto message can be found here.
· AB 976 by Assemblymember Isadore Hall III (D-Los Angeles) – Public contracts: consulting services: community choice aggregators. A veto message can be found here.
· SB 1537 by Senator Christine Kehoe (D-San Diego) – Energy: rates: net energy metering. A veto message can be found here.