- Created on Tuesday, 07 August 2012 09:48
- Written by NAPSI
Imperial, California (NAPSI) - As the new academic year approaches, college students everywhere will start preparing for their trip back to school.
Whether you’re a freshman making the journey into a dorm for the first time or a graduating senior with an apartment, here are some tips to help ensure a smooth, easy and affordable move from the experts at Penske Truck Rental:
• Select the Truck That Fits Your Needs. Most college students choose the 12- or 16-foot truck for moving into a college dorm or efficiency apartment.
• Reserve Now. Fall is peak moving time for students and families, so it’s best to reserve early. You should reserve your rental truck and order any moving accessories at least two weeks in advance. At Penske, a reservation guarantees that a truck will be available.
• Using Accessories Can Make a Difference. Boxes, packing tape, bubble wrap, moving blankets and hand trucks are essential moving tools. Look to pack electronic items in their original cartons, and reinforce the bottoms of all boxes with extra tape for support.
• Pack it Right. Load the heaviest items on the truck first. And to avoid injury, always bend your knees and lift with your legs, never with your back. Better yet, get a friend to help with any heavy lifting.
• Driver Safety and Security. To ensure a smooth moving day, pick up your truck a day early and practice driving it. Trucks are taller, wider, heavier and require more stopping distance than cars. When traveling, park in well-lit areas and padlock the rear door.
In the unlikely event of a breakdown, Penske offers around- the-clock emergency roadside assistance every day.
• Buddy Up. Sharing the ride with a friend can help to defer some of your truck rental costs and provide some extra help with your boxes.
• Use Discounts. When attempting to defray moving costs, every little bit helps. Look for discounts that may be available through various memberships. For example, Penske Truck Rental is the exclusive truck rental partner of AAA and offers AAA members a discount.
• Make Sure Things Are in Easy Reach. Finally, before you leave, create a travel bag for moving day to keep important paperwork, credit cards, identification, clothes, drinks and snacks close at hand.
For additional moving tips, visit www.PenskeTruckRental.com.